Chiropractic Care for Sciatica
At Advanced Wellness Centre in Richmond, VA, we provide great chiropractic care for a range of issues, including back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, sprains and strains, headaches and migraines, and even sciatic nerve pain. Our staff is composed of a team of qualified and compassionate chiropractors who are ready to provide you with the best treatment. We are aware that it can be difficult to enjoy your life to the fullest if you're in pain, or have a limited range of motion, and so we want to improve your overall quality of life by helping your body reach optimal wellness. One of the most common and debilitating conditions we treat is sciatica.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a sharp, shooting pain that radiates from the lower back into the legs. It occurs when the sciatic nerve, which runs from the buttocks to the toes and is the longest nerve in the body, has been pinched by the spinal discs or is otherwise trapped.
Symptoms of sciatica include:
- Pain in the leg that gets worse when you sit or stand for long periods.
- A tingling or burning sensation that runs down the leg.
- Numbness and weakness that makes it hard to lift and move the entire leg.
- A consistent pain in one side of the lower back.
- An intense pain that makes it hard to stand up.
Chiropractic Treatment for Sciatica
Our chiropractor will diagnose sciatica by first reviewing your medical history and performing a few physical tests to observe how your range of motion has been limited. Then, we can begin treatment by using one or more of the following modalities:
- Chiropractic massage therapy, which is an intense massage that aims to induce deep muscle relaxation and trigger the release of endorphins. Our specialists know where to apply pressure to get the best relief for sciatic nerve pain, not just relaxation.
- Alternating heat and cold therapies, which can provide fast relief for sciatica pain. The heat releases tight muscles and dulls the pain, and the cold eases the symptoms of inflammation by slowing down blood flow to the affected area.
- Using cold laser therapies to improve blood circulation to the area in pain and decrease swelling, muscle spasms, cramping, and edema.
- Spinal manipulations may also be used to move the slipped disc back to its original position and remove pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Spinal decompression can also be used, because it increases the space between vertebrae and releases pressure on the sciatic nerve to ease pain.
- Advice on lifestyle changes, including going on a healthy diet to maintain healthy weight and allow your spinal system to work normally.
Book Your Appointment with Our Chiropractor Today
If you are suffering from sciatic nerve pain, we can help. At Advanced Wellness Centre in Richmond, VA, we provide chiropractic care to treat sciatica and other conditions. To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today.